The scoop on frozen yogurt in LA.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Penguin's

Today is a dark day, as I have to write a negative review of a yogurt place. I went with some friends to Penguin's last week, and the experience was just terrible.

First of all, the service was abysmal. It took us forever to be helped, the guy helped 2 other parties before us even though we were there first. Once it was finally our turn, a member of our party was blatantly ignored.

The prices were strange and seemingly arbitrary. A topping was something outrageous like $1.74. My medium with a topping came out to $4.98. I gave the guy a 5 and he didn't give me my change. I certainly didn't need those two cents, but it would have been nice if he'd offered. I got no-sugar chocolate chips which were truly disgusting. I took one bite and announced that they tasted like dust. That was my gut instinct upon tasting those chips. Dust. And I've had no-sugar chocolate chips before that did not taste like dust, so I know it's not just that type.

The flavors are nothing special, and the textures, for the most part, weren't good. I got the highest calorie chocolate one because the lower calorie ones were all too gritty. Grit with dust on top is not a good combination, and not what one looks for in a frozen yogurt.

Both Penguin's locations in LA are close to The Bigg Chill, so go there instead.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was me! I was blatantly ignored! Also, my cookie dough was pretty dry.

Kristal said...

So I'm in Hong Kong this semester and I have yet to find frozen yogurt. This saddens me and I knew you would understand.

Unknown said...

Kristal try "yo mama" frozen yogurt on star street in hong kong!!!