The scoop on frozen yogurt in LA.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I love frozen yogurt. Should I get a frozen yogurt machine?

You may have seen machines at Bed, Bath and Beyond type places that supposedly can make authentic soft serve frozen yogurt. If you eat frozen yogurt every day (or want to), this probably seems like a good investment. But I'm actually going to advise against it.

I got one by Cuisinart. It claimed it was simple, the picture on the box was exquisite, and there was even a little thing that would mix toppings straight into the yogurt! One night some friends and I got together to make a mocha flavored one. It was... pretty good, I guess. I honestly don't remember, so it obviously wasn't phenomenal. I do remember that I had to get a bunch of ingredients and make a batter of sorts.

I made yogurt a second time and it came out so horribly I've been afraid to try it again. And it's hard to make myself, when there's yogurt of such better quality and so much easier to access a couple of miles away.

So if you live within driving distance of a frozen yogurt place, don't get one of these machines. The yogurt isn't as good and it's kind of a lot of work, considering how little it usually takes. But hey, if you really want one of those machines, go for it.

No comments: